Global Inclusion and Diversity in the Workplace.
At Baxter, inclusion and diversity is about building diverse, high-performing teams that are engaged and innovative, and advancing company culture so that every employee feels valued, respected and safe to be their authentic self. We are committed to attracting, motivating and retaining an inclusive and diverse workforce to better address the needs of our employees, customers, suppliers, patients and caregivers. By valuing differences, we make a difference in the lives of millions worldwide.
Our global inclusion strategy focuses on four key areas:
- Workforce: Recruit and build diverse and high-performing teams that are engaged and innovative
- Workplace: Advance the company’s inclusive culture where every employee feels valued, respected and safe to be their authentic self
- Communities: Cultivate strategic and diverse supplier and community partnerships
- Marketplace: Consider the needs of customers and their patients in all aspects of Baxter’s business
"Baxter is committed to fostering an inclusive work environment that attracts, engages and retains a diverse workforce to drive healthcare innovation that betters the lives of the patients we serve. Integrating different backgrounds and perspectives within all facets of our organisation is what allows us to continue delivering on our mission to save and sustain lives."
Joe Almeida, Chairman and CEO
"We've made our focus on global inclusion a long-term priority since an inclusive workplace is critical to our success and to employee satisfaction. In fact, we have a number of activities underway to help Baxter recruit, hire and retain talent from different backgrounds, cultures and experiences. And, we are committed to a culture where all employees can collaborate and work together effectively."Jeanne Mason, Senior Vice President, Human Resources
To advance our global inclusion strategy...
We Believe in Equal Opportunity
As an equal opportunity employer, Baxter prohibits employment discrimination or harassment of applicants, employees and third parties due to race, colour, religion or religious creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by law.
We Provide Inclusion & Diversity Training
All employees complete inclusion and diversity training designed with a critical focus on unconscious bias, its effects and ways to mitigate and remove it. Baxter further engages employees thinking about their biases by embedding bias checks, specific suggestions and actions on ways to mitigate or remove biases, during key talent decisions, including hiring, giving feedback, talent review, etc.
We Lead with a Global Inclusion Council
Baxter’s Global Inclusion Council (GIC) is chaired by the company’s Corporate Vice President–Americas, and is composed of approximately 15 senior leaders from the company’s businesses, regions and functions. These leaders serve as inclusion and diversity champions, advocates and thought leaders across the company. The GIC is responsible for advocating and driving the company’s global inclusion and diversity priorities, as well as developing and implementing local inclusion plans. The GIC continues to focus globally on advancing women and under-represented minorities in leadership and driving inclusive leadership capabilities and culture.
Supporting Education Programmes
We support and participate in education programmes that promote diversity and inclusion in the next generation to enter the workforce.
- Baxter is committed to partnering with local schools, colleges, and universities to attract future talent for vacancies and has run many ‘educational talks’ and regularly attends career fairs.
- We offer placements for undergraduates. Our undergraduate programme allows students who have just completed their second year to gain hands-on experience and development. Through our 12-month programme, students gain practical work experience which relates to their studies and career goals. We also offer a two-year graduate programme.
- We offer supervised work experience placements within the UK with the aim of developing knowledge of the healthcare and pharma sector and attracting excellent future recruits. Work experience can be a few days, one week or more.
We Support Business Resource Groups
Business Resource Groups (BRGs) provide a forum for employees to develop skills, experience valuable cultural connections and support key business initiatives. These groups support Baxter's business goals and aim to enhance personal growth and multicultural understanding, while strengthening relationships among employees, customers, business partners and community partners. Baxter has eight established BRGs: the African American Leadership Council, Asian Leadership Network, [email protected], Baxter Equality Network, Baxter Women Leaders, Baxter EnAbles, Early Career Professionals and BaxVets.
Disability Confident Employer
Baxter in the UK is a Disability Confident Employer. This means we have undertaken and successfully completed a Disability Confident self-assessment; we take all core actions as outlined by the scheme and offer at least one activity to get the right people for our business and at least one activity to develop our people. Find out more about Disability Confident